Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Review - Animal Farm by George Orwell

Animal FarmAnimal Farm by George Orwell
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
AudiobookUnabridged
Published December 15th 1999 by Blackstone Audiobooks (first published 1945)

Synopsis:
'Animal Farm is the most famous by far of all twentieth-century political allegories. Its account of a group of barnyard animals who revolt against their vicious human master, only to submit to a tyranny erected by their own kind, can fairly be said to have become a universal drama. Orwell is one of the very few modern satirists comparable to Jonathan Swift in power, artistry, and moral authority; in animal farm his spare prose and the logic of his dark comedy brilliantly highlight his stark message.
Taking as his starting point the betrayed promise of the Russian Revolution, Orwell lays out a vision that, in its bitter wisdom, gives us the clearest understanding we possess of the possible consequences of our social and political acts.'
My Thoughts:
Wow, what can I say about this book that hasn't already been said a million times. It was amazing!

I can't believe it took me so long to finally get to this book as it's something I've wanted to read for years. I decided to listen to an audio copy in the car on my way to and from work for a couple of days and I found myself not wanting it to ever end!

I was just in awe many, many times throughout this story. I found it sometimes hilarious, sometimes very sad, sometimes completely intriguing and overall loved every minute of it.

The way the animals are portrayed to represent humans in society really highlights the weaknesses we have and how there is such injustice where hard workers suffer while the lazy top-dogs reap all the benefits.

It also highlights how those that are able to have more education or come from a better class or background can play on those that are less educated and considered weaker beings. It shoes how the trust that those who are less educated have can be twisted and manipulated to the higher person's advantage with no evidence being required at all because they are not in any position to demand any.

This book is a definite eye opener and I don't think you even need to know where the background of the story comes from to appreciate the message it is trying to convey.

The main context of this story is that 'All animals are equal' but in the end it becomes very apparent that 'Some are more equal than others'. Just fascinating! A definite must read for everyone.

Links to:
Amazon
The Book Depository




No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...