Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Review - The Awakening (The Vampire Diaries #1) by L.J. Smith

The Awakening (The Vampire Diaries, #1)The Awakening by L.J. Smith
My rating: 2 of 5 stars
Audiobook
Published October 27th 2009 by Harper Audio (first published May 27th 1993)

Synopsis:
'Elena is the school beauty, but she’s bored, until a new boy turns up in her class. Stefan is dark and mysterious—and she’s determined to get to know him better. But Stefan is just as determined to resist her... until a series of attacks in the area terrify the town and Stefan is held responsible. Elena is the only one who offers to help and, falling in love with her, Stefan tells her his terrible story. He is a vampire, on the run from his evil brother, Damon, who doesn’t share Stefan’s qualms about drinking human blood. And Damon is the one Stefan suspects of really being behind the recent attacks... Can Elena help prove his innocence—without revealing his secret?'

My Thoughts:
Well, where do I start with this book?

I've been listening to this story for the past couple of weeks in the car on the way to and from work and I now feel I could have done so much more with that prescious listening time.

I've been wanting to read this series for a very long time, especially after the television series was released but it was something that I just never ended up getting to. When I found an audio version of the first four books I decided to give them a go. Boy, am I kind of regretting that decision now.

This was probably one of the most cheesy, over-played books I've read (or heard) in a long time. I just don't understand how the language used and the desperate emotional feelings that are portrayed in this book can be associated with high school students. To me, if the author wanted to write such an intense, emotionally charged and desperate book she should have used adult main characters instead. Then it could all have been a bit more believable.

I just kept getting annoyed at how high school students could have such powerful thoughts and emotions and 'be-all or end-all' feelings and with such intensity that drives a person crazy. It's seriously ridiculous.

Anyway, overall this book is your typical vampire love story. Girl meets boy, boy appears to be unavaliable and full of angst so girl chases him, boy turns out to be a vampire and girl accepts his true natue because 'she just can't live without him' and trouble ensues them both from there.

Obviously there is nothing intellectual about this book but if you're after an easy read and want to conquer yet another vampire series just for the sake of it then you won't be disappointed with the start of this one.

Of course, because of my pedantic nature I now HAVE to listen to the remaining books in the series I have on audio or I will go insane. Or maybe listening to them will send me insane? Only time will tell......

Purchase Details: Amazon
The Book Depository

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...